This salad brings to mind the summer nights of my childhood - block parties, lawn games, and the dulcet tones of Kool and the Gang. Since those days were back in the 1970s, I think that qualifies this recipe as being 'retro' - right? I didn't list exact measurements, as this salad automatically adjusts to the size of the bowl you're using. If feeding a crowd, use an extra large bowl and follow directions accordingly. Same goes for making a smaller salad for one.
Retro 24 Hour Salad
- head of iceberg lettuce, cut into ribbons (you could use something healthier, but I like to stay true to the nutritionally void iceberg for authenticity)
- diced red onion
- frozen green peas, thawed
- sharp cheddar (or medium cheddar, at a minimum), shredded
- cooked and crumbled bacon
- dash of sugar
- Monday - Pizza
- Tuesday - Chicken BLT Chopped Salad with Fresh Lemon Garlic Dressing
- Wednesday - Thai Turkey Meatballs with Green Curry (from Minnesota Monthly)
- Thursday - easy grill night - probably Aidells sausages and salad
- Friday - Fish Tacos with Cilantro Lime Crema (a favorite from Cooking Light)
- Saturday - appetizer night! My husband works near Salumi and picked up some salami that we must build a dinner around.
- Sunday - Italian Pot Roast with Mushroom Sauce (trying this recipe from The Complete Savorist)